Enjoy interviews with Jens Risom, John Kostick, Norm Architects and other masters of modern design.
Foldable Star Sculptures
Designed by John M. Kostick
Returns and Refunds
We want you to be delighted with your new purchase. If you need to make a return, we're here to help. Please review your item(s) upon delivery. If there is an issue with your order, contact your local DWR Studio or our customer service team at 800.944.2233 or firstname.lastname@example.org within three (3) days of receipt. If you receive a damaged, defective, or incorrect item, we’ll make it right.
We have a few things to keep in mind during the return process:
- Returns must be received in original condition within 30 days of receipt.
- Shipping charges are non-refundable. You will be responsible for outbound and return shipping and delivery charges.
- Returns are accepted only at our warehouse—not at DWR Studios, DWR Outlets, or company headquarters.
- Your refund will be reduced by a restocking charge equal to 10% of the purchase price (accessories, bedding, Sonno mattresses*, and towels are exempt).
- Credit card orders will receive refunds in the form of a credit back to the original account.
- Check and cash payments will be returned via a refund check or DWR Merchandise Credit.
- Be sure to retain the original packing materials, receipt, and all merchandise tags for returns.
What can’t you return or exchange?
- Custom or special order furniture.
- Floor samples and items purchased from DWR Outlets and eBay.
What if I need to cancel my order?
We can accept cancellation of your order for items that have not yet shipped or are on backorder. In-stock items normally ship within 24–48 hours after an order has been placed. Once an item has shipped, cancellation is not possible.
- If you order by credit card, your card will be charged as each item is shipped.
- Custom and special order items cannot be canceled.
What about the 100-Night Sonno® Mattress* Sleep Trial?
Try Sonno risk-free for up to 100 nights (with a minimum of 30). If you decide to return the mattress, contact your local DWR Studio or call 800.944.2233 for a refund and free pickup.
- One sleep trial per household annually.
- Delivery fees nonrefundable.
Risk of Loss
All items purchased from Design Within Reach are made pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items pass to you upon our delivery to the carrier. If your order is placed with a purchase order, the shipping term of FOB DWR shipping dock will supersede any shipping terms in your purchase order.
Current Shipping pageREAD MORE ON RETURNS & EXCHANGES
John Kostick’s Foldable Stars (1965) began as models of mathematical concepts, particularly the structural-relationship principle known as tensegrity (or tensional integrity). “The abstract lines that define geometric forms are indicated by actual physical parts that interact synergetically,” says the designer. “Thus symmetry and structural integrity are the results of the assemblage of simple linear components, tension and compression, push and pull.” Kostick refers to his Stars as “mathematical truths that you can hold in your hand,” and after you pick one up, you’ll have a hard time putting it down. They can be hung or placed on display, but they invite interaction, and they are fun to play with. Handcrafted in Massachusetts, these multi-axis Foldable Stars are made of bronze that will patina beautifully over time. Kostick was granted a patent for his Stars in 1970. Made in U.S.A.
- Set includes one of each size.
Inspiration struck for John Kostick when he attended a lecture by Buckminster Fuller in 1962. Kostick, a physics student at Brandeis University at the time, realized he could illustrate and explore sophisticated mathematical concepts in a straightforward way by building models. He was particularly interested in tensegrity, or tensional integrity, the principle of combined compression and tension giving a structure 3-D ...
Shipping InfoView Shipping Options
Complete the Room
Designed by Amanda Pratt$245.00
Designed by Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen$8,251.00 - $18,903.00
Designed by Jeffrey Bernett and Nicholas Dodziuk for Design Within Reach$4,395.00 - $7,295.00
Discovered by Charles and Ray Eames, produced by Vitra$270.00 - $385.00 $229.50 - $327.25
Designed by Matthew Richards$325.00 $276.25
Designed by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec for Vitra$165.00